Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas 2007, day 1

I launched this year's marathon -- the craziest yet, by far, and it's not even over yet -- with the new Conor McPherson play The Seafarer. I can't decide whether I came in poised to like this (I love magic realism) or dislike it (Irish whimsy and Irish drunkenness are borrrrrrrrrring to me most of the time, especially when combined). Net result: not crazy about it. It's really well-acted: everyone seems to feel Jim Norton is poised to grab the supporting Tony come June, but they're all good, including non-"native" David Morse in the difficult lead. But the rambling structure and surprise-ending-cum-redemption didn't click for me.

That evening, by contrast, brought one of the trip's high points: Edward Albee's new-old Peter and Jerry at Second Stage. Nearly 4 years ago, I saw the world premiere production of this (an audacious pairing of the classic Zoo Story with a brand-new Act I called Home Life) at Hartford Stage, which had the same director (Pam MacKinnon) and female lead (Johanna Day) but different guys (Frank Wood, fine but non-special as Peter; Frederick Weller the ideal Jerry). I agree with those who've said that Zoo Story doesn't "update" perfectly. But it's worth it, because Home Life is really gripping, and a fascinating set-up for Zoo Story. Odd that Johanna Day was the one holdover -- she's very in-and-out as Peter's wife Ann, as she was in Hartford. But though I missed Frederick Weller, Dallas Roberts is excellent as Jerry, once you get past the lily-gilding of his appearance. And Bill Pullman's work nearly matches his unforgettable performance as Martin in The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia? (the first preview of which I won't soon forget).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home